Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Returning Member

Trader in Security with MTM

I am a trader in security with MTM as status with IRS since 2014. 

I had a losses of $50K as carry forward from previous years. 

In 2019 I made profit of 20K.

How to offset 2019 capital gains or other income with carry fwd losses ?

2 Replies
Level 15

Trader in Security with MTM

Since you are MTM, there is no carry forward of losses.

If you are referring to $50,000 of Investor losses on Schedule D, you can't apply those to Professional Trader Income, only to the upcoming Schedule D.

Based on your question, it sounds like you are not reporting your Professional Trader activity correctly.

Returning Member

Trader in Security with MTM

Thanks for reply.

I am using 4797 for reporting my trades past 5 years.

As I have the side jobs as well I have W2 as well.

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings