Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

epsmolen2

My husband and I are filing separately this year, but filed jointly last year. I have input all of our info. I want to know how do I know what he owes and what I owe?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

My husband and I are filing separately this year, but filed jointly last year. I have input all of our info. I want to know how do I know what he owes and what I owe?

Filing as Married Filing Separately, have you prepared 2 returns, & two separate accounts?
epsmolen2

Only my account, but I inputted all his info too.  Once he creates his own account, will he need to input all my info too?

On Married Filing Separate you do not put his information on your return, you enter only your information.  He needs to file his own return with just his information. He would need to create a new account

Just to add:  when you file as Married Filing Separate, you cannot claim some deductions.  See the following for information
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288477">https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288477</a>

To file married filing separately, you need two completely separate tax returns.  One lists only your income and deductions and calculates your tax owe or refund claimed, and the other return calculates the  same for your spouse.  In TurboTax online, you need two separate accounts with different user names and passwords, one for each spouse, and you will pay two separate fees, unless you qualify to file for free.  

epsmolen2

So does he have to input all my information too when he signs into his account?

Your return only contains your income and deductions; his return only contains his income and deductions.  That's what filing separately means.  The only spouse's information needed is name and social security number.

Your best option is to make two new accounts.  That avoids most mistakes.

If you want to use the existing account, it "belongs" to whoever is the first-named or primary taxpayer.  The person on the top line of the printed return.  That spouse will change status to MFS and delete all the other spouse's income and deductions.  The other spouse makes a new account and starts from scratch.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies