Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Timeline for original refund after amending

After amending my 2023 tax return on March 9th, 2023, which has been accepted, when should I expect to receive my original tax return directly deposited into my bank account? The original was filed on February 13th. It still says being processing. Thanks.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JulieS
Expert Alumni

Yes, you can check Where's my refund? to track the progress of you your tax refund. 

Filing an amendment before your original return is fully processed, may delay your refund, so it's hard to say when you will get it. 

You are supposed to wait until you get your original refund before amending your tax return, or at least 21 days if you owe taxes. Since it's been more than 21 days, it might not cause additional delays. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

JulieS
Expert Alumni

No, I don't think it'll be helpful to call them. Give them a couple more weeks to sort things out.  

View solution in original post

7 Replies
JulieS
Expert Alumni

Yes, you can check Where's my refund? to track the progress of you your tax refund. 

Filing an amendment before your original return is fully processed, may delay your refund, so it's hard to say when you will get it. 

You are supposed to wait until you get your original refund before amending your tax return, or at least 21 days if you owe taxes. Since it's been more than 21 days, it might not cause additional delays. 

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I do owe so I did it through Turbotax.  It will be taken out of my savings account.  I have checked Where's my Refund but still says processing. Should I call the IRS? Not sure what to do.

JulieS
Expert Alumni

No, I don't think it'll be helpful to call them. Give them a couple more weeks to sort things out.  

Thank you so much. Have a great day!

• my original refund was filed 3 weeks ago and pending when I looked on the irs website. My amended was filed the next day because my brokerage sent me a corrected 1099. The amended refund amount could not be found on their site. Now what?

@jc1234   You are suppose to wait to amend until the first return is done processing and you get the first refund or pay the tax due.  Normally amended returns take 16 weeks (4 months) to process. 3 weeks after filing you can check an amended return here.
https://www.irs.gov/filing/wheres-my-amended-return

You will still get the first original full refund (and keep it) or need to pay the first tax due. You should not amend or change your return until you get the refund from the original return or your payment has cleared.

The amended return will only be the difference you get back or need to pay. You can confirm this by printing your amendment and looking at the 1040X. Line 18 should be your original refund amount and line 21 should be your additional refund. If you paid on your original return it will be on line 16 (but don't include any penalty on 1040 line 38). If there is an amount owed with the amendment, it will be on line 20.

I submitted my return on 4/7 so I couldn’t wait to get my first refund. The bank sent me a corrected 1099 on 4/8 it would have been past the 4/15 deadline had I waited. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies