This rejection code can be caused by a mismatch within the IRS database, or if the social security number was issued late in the year.
Gather the Social Security cards for each listed dependent on your return and follow the solution steps below.
- Open (continue) your return in TurboTax.
- You'll be prompted to confirm the status of your return(s). Click Continue.
- At the Rejected message, click Help Me Fix It.
- Follow the onscreen instructions to fix the error and re-file your return.
Some Helpful Tips:
- If your dependent's name has recently changed, and the new name won't go through, try their former name (or vice-versa).
- For multiple middle names, use the initial for the first middle name only (for example, John E. W. Doe should be entered as John E Doe in TurboTax).
- Hyphenated last names go into the Last name field in their entirety.
- Generally, with nonhyphenated multiple last names, the very last name goes into the Last name field, for example:
- Richard L. Brown Roe should be entered as Richard L. Roe
- Richard (no middle initial) Brown Roe should be entered as Richard (no middle initial) Roe
If after following the steps above you are still unable to correct the problem you will have to file a paper return.
You may want to contact the Social Security Administration (SSA) at 800-772-1213 to verify their records.