Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Not getting form 8965 to enter my ECN due to low income. This form is necessary for classification at the state hospital.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
ChristinaS
Expert Alumni

Not getting form 8965 to enter my ECN due to low income. This form is necessary for classification at the state hospital.

This certificate is only entered if your income is not already low enough for an automatic exemption.

You enter your Exemption Certificate Number (ECN) under the Health Insurance tab, which completes Form 8965. If your income is low enough, you don't need an exemption from the Marketplace and so would not enter an unnecessary ECN.

If you received an ECN, but didn't need one in the first place, that is fine. But you will not enter an exemption to a penalty that you don't have.

Follow these steps to enter the ECN if you are required to have one:

1. Click Health Insurance under Federal Taxes
  2. Indicate your coverage. Indicate No Coverage if you didn't have insurance for any months.

On the next screen, you will see one of the following (based on your income):

1. "Based on your situation, you are exempt from the tax penalty!" If you see this message, you are done. There's no way to enter a Marketplace Certificate that wasn't needed. You are automatically not penalized due to low income.
  2. "Did anyone have a situation that waives the tax penalty for being uninsured?" If you see this screen, you will need to enter the ECN. See Step 3.
  3. Click the box Applied for a Penalty Exemption- Got an exemption certificate number from the Marketplace or I haven't received one yet. Continue
  4. Enter your ECNs.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies