turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

gv932n

On the Uber Tax Summary, what is the income Uber reported to the IRS

I have asked this question several times in a different manner. I always get boiler plate answers. I have an UBER Tax Summary (no 1099's). Their net income includes tolls I paid. Is that the income they report to the IRS? or do they report income excluding tolls. 

That is a  simple question. I know how to enter income, I just don't  know what they report to the IRS as income.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

They actually haven't reported anything to the IRS in your case.  The tax summary is an unofficial record of your earnings and possible related expenses.  They are producing it as a guide to help you prepare your return, but it has not been officially reported to the IRS (you would receive a Form 1099-MISC or 1099-K if any amounts had been reported to the IRS).

Now, this doesn't mean you don't have to pay taxes on all your income.  You still legally need to report all income and pay taxes.  But, if you are concerned about the treatment of tolls - the choice is yours.  I would recommend you include everything in your gross income and then expense out any amounts of reimbursements you received for tolls etc.  But, you could just exclude those reimbursed amounts from your gross income when entering your income.   

View solution in original post

2 Replies

They actually haven't reported anything to the IRS in your case.  The tax summary is an unofficial record of your earnings and possible related expenses.  They are producing it as a guide to help you prepare your return, but it has not been officially reported to the IRS (you would receive a Form 1099-MISC or 1099-K if any amounts had been reported to the IRS).

Now, this doesn't mean you don't have to pay taxes on all your income.  You still legally need to report all income and pay taxes.  But, if you are concerned about the treatment of tolls - the choice is yours.  I would recommend you include everything in your gross income and then expense out any amounts of reimbursements you received for tolls etc.  But, you could just exclude those reimbursed amounts from your gross income when entering your income.   

gv932n

Finally  an answer for my simple question. Thank you Anthony.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies