Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

There is a bug in 2023 Delaware Turbo Tax Delux, can someone confirm?

I have 2023 Turbo Tax Delux, and the bug happened when I file the Delaware Return.

Specifically, on the form: Itemized Deduction Allocation, Line 5e: enter the smaller of 5d or 10,000.

We are filing Joint return for Federal Return, and filing  Combined Separate Delaware returns (Status 4)

on Line 5e:Turbo Tax put 10,000 for Federal, 10000 for DE Spouse, 10000 for DE TaxPayer

I think the correct way should be:10,000 for Federal, 5000 for DE Spouse, 5000 for DE TaxPayer

Can some one double check on me? And if this is confirmed to be a bug, when can the Turbo Tax fix this so that we can file correctly

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

I did a mock return and found TurboTax to be calculating properly.

The federal column of Line 5e is showing the lesser of $10,000 or Line 5d. The columns Delaware Spouse and Delaware Taxpayer are being copied from the line above. In my mock return, the two columns do not equal $10,000, as you can see from the screenshot below. Therefore, your columns should not specify $5,000 for one spouse and $5,000 for the other to equal the $10,000. 

Furthermore, on Schedule A PIT-RSA, the $10,000 is being deducted on Line 7, as it should be since that is the maximum amount allowed, unless you are married filing separately. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hi LenaH,

Thanks a lot for taking your time to help me!! However, I still think that 2023 DE tax has a bug here on Line 5e of Schedule A PIT-RSA. Because for Line 5e Spouse column, it takes the minimum of 6086 and 10000, which gives 6086, and for Line 5e Tax Payer column, it takes the minimum of 8914 and 10000, which gives 8914,

This conflict the method for 2022 DE Tax return.

I think the correct way on Line 5e should be:

For spouse column: take the minimum of 6086 and 5000, which should gave 5000.

For Tax payer column: take the minimum of 8914 and 5000, which should also gave 5000.

The correct way matches with the method for 2022 DE Tax return

Please help me double checking if my logic is correct by doing a mock return on 2022 Schedule A PIT-RSA.

Thanks

--Li

LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

It appears it would only be the $5,000 minimum on Line 5e if the status was married filing separately on the federal return. This is written in parentheses in the above screenshot. Did you file MFS on your 1040 in 2022? 

@LLLnew 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies