Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

There are two possible places to enter Mortgage interest and Property tax. Which do I enter for my rental property?

Turbotax guided me to enter Under "Deductions and Credits" section accessed from the left hand side bar:

Mortgage Interest and Refinancing (Form 1098)
Property (Real Estate) Taxes

However, when I go to Federal > Wage and Income > Rental Properties and Royalties
 section for my rental property, there are fields for Mort Interest as well as Property Taxes. 

Which one am I supposed to enter it it? Would entering it in both be an issue?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

There are two possible places to enter Mortgage interest and Property tax. Which do I enter for my rental property?

You want to enter the mortgage interest and property tax for your rental in the rental section, NOT the deductions and credits section.  They go on Schedule E, not Schedule A.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

What about Mortgage interest. The property was seller financed and need to report it so that seller's ssn is reported but not sure where it is.

To report a seller-financed mortgage -

Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home & Business)

Click on Deductions & Credits

Click on I'll choose what I work on

Under Your Home

On Mortgage Interest, Points, Refinancing, and Insurance, click the start or update button

Answer the questions on the following screens and you will land on a screen labeled Do any of these situations apply? 

Select This is a seller-financed loan and I did not receive a 1098.  Continue

DavidD66
Expert Alumni

You don't have enter the SSN for the seller financed interest for a rental property.  Just enter the amount of interest you paid.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
maglib
Level 11

Make sure you enter the related income from any seller financed mortgages.  

Report the interest portion of the payment as ordinary income on Form 1040 or 1040-SR, line 2b, or Schedule NEC (Form 1040-NR) if a nonresident alien.

During the Real Estate interview you need to answer yes if a 1099 was required to be reported if the amount is greater than $600.  Then you are required to file a 1099-int for the interest paid to seller if they are not a business.

You then would have the interest income reported on your Schedule B.

**I don't work for TT. Just trying to help. All the best.
***Say "Thanks" by marking as BEST ANSWER and clicking the thumb icon in a post and that I solved your question
I am NOT an expert and you should confirm with a tax expert.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies