turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Mholl039

Line 42 of the Schedule D Tax worksheet says to use Tax Comp Wrksht, where is it? Found form on IRS web site and result in TT doesn't match a manual calc, $138 diff. Why?

Just checking some calculations and focusing on line 42 on the Schedule D Tax Worksheet.  It says to use the Tax Computation worksheet for my income level.  I can't find it in Turbo Tax, searching the web site I found where TT doesn't show this calculation, it's all internal.  I find that frustrating since I can't check the number.  So I went to the IRS site to find the worksheet.  When I do the calculation manually using the IRS form I'm coming up with a number that is $138 less than what TT calculated.  Without having the means to determine how TT is calculating this number I can't determine which number is correct.  Can someone help me understand how TT calculates this number?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
TerryA
Intuit Alumni

Line 42 of the Schedule D Tax worksheet says to use Tax Comp Wrksht, where is it? Found form on IRS web site and result in TT doesn't match a manual calc, $138 diff. Why?

The "Tax Computation Worksheet" is on page 79 of the Form 1040 instructions:

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040gi.pdf

As you say, that's an internal calculation, and a fairly simple one, so the program isn't cluttered up with that worksheet. If using that Wks you come up with a different amount than TT did on the Sch D Tax Wks line 42, you'll have to provide your Sch D Tax Wks line 19 amount and filing status so we can double-check.

Mholl039

Is there a way to do this without creating a thread that everyone can see?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies