Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

The same number in box 1 and box 2a on CSF-1099-R after simplified method calculation?

I have two 1099-Rs.  One CSA, one CSF.  On both box 1 (gross distribution) is filled in, box 2 (taxable amount) is blank.

Entering the first one and going through the calculations of the simplified method (showing a previous tax-free amount), when I review to double check it, box 2a is still blank.

Entering the second one and again going through the calculations (and also showing a previous tax-free amount), when I review that one, box 2a has the same amount as box 1, showing the entire amount taxable.  Even after I delete the entry in box 2a, after the calculations, the box 1 amount is in there.

One is an annuity, the other is a survivor annuity. 

Why is the entire amount in box 1 now the taxable amount (box 2a) even after the calculation? 

I haven't noticed this (above) in previous years. 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

The same number in box 1 and box 2a on CSF-1099-R after simplified method calculation?

I'm not aware of a situation where the amount in box 2(a) on your Form 1099-R entry would be automatically filled in after you left it blank. It is more likely you entered the number in that field when you entered the Form 1099-R. If the amount in box 2(a) is blank, the amount of your distribution in box 1 may or may not be taxable, that would depend on the entries in box 7 and your answers to the questions in TurboTax after you entered the Form 1099-R.

To test my hypothesis, I suggest you delete the Form 1099-R and re-enter it.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks, ThomasM125.  I filed before I received your reply and have just gotten back to this.  I did as you suggested...deleted the form and then added it back.  WOW!!!  This was after updates and things were different!  After adding the form back, this annuity was called a retirement account.  For the simplified method calculations, none of the information (specifically amount recovered tax free to date) transferred from last year.  In addition, on the 1099-R, box 9b (Total Employee Contributions) was also UNKNOWN when that box was filled in in the past and the number doesn't change.  I need to look into this.  I appreciate your reply and your suggestion.  It was eye opening and more than baffling!!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies