Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

The IRS Website said that I could file for free using Turbo Tax, but they're trying to charge me $59?

Any Ideas why?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

The IRS Website said that I could file for free using Turbo Tax, but they're trying to charge me $59?

You are not using the free program. TT deluxe is not free, which is what you are using. There are strict rules you must qualify for to use the free program. see below -

TurboTax Online: Important Details about Free Filing for Simple Tax Returns
If you have a simple tax return, you can file for free yourself with TurboTax Free Edition, or you can file with TurboTax Live Assisted Basic or TurboTax Live Full Service Basic at the listed price.

A simple tax return is one that's filed using IRS Form 1040 only, without having to attach any forms or schedules. Only certain taxpayers are eligible.

Situations covered (assuming no added tax complexity):

• W-2 income
  • Interest or dividends (1099-INT/1099-DIV) that don’t require filing a Schedule B
  • IRS standard deduction
  • Earned Income Tax Credit (EIC)
  • Child Tax Credit (CTC)
  • Student loan interest deduction

Situations not covered:

• Itemized deductions
  • Unemployment income reported on a 1099-G
  • Business or 1099-NEC income
  • Stock sales
  • Rental property income
  • Credits, deductions and income reported on other forms or schedules (for example, income related to crypto investments)

View solution in original post

4 Replies

You are not using the free program. TT deluxe is not free, which is what you are using. There are strict rules you must qualify for to use the free program. see below -

TurboTax Online: Important Details about Free Filing for Simple Tax Returns
If you have a simple tax return, you can file for free yourself with TurboTax Free Edition, or you can file with TurboTax Live Assisted Basic or TurboTax Live Full Service Basic at the listed price.

A simple tax return is one that's filed using IRS Form 1040 only, without having to attach any forms or schedules. Only certain taxpayers are eligible.

Situations covered (assuming no added tax complexity):

• W-2 income
  • Interest or dividends (1099-INT/1099-DIV) that don’t require filing a Schedule B
  • IRS standard deduction
  • Earned Income Tax Credit (EIC)
  • Child Tax Credit (CTC)
  • Student loan interest deduction

Situations not covered:

• Itemized deductions
  • Unemployment income reported on a 1099-G
  • Business or 1099-NEC income
  • Stock sales
  • Rental property income
  • Credits, deductions and income reported on other forms or schedules (for example, income related to crypto investments)

The IRS Website does not mention TurboTax' TurboTax dropped out of IRS Free File.

@marylous42 

Don't pay.

Go back to the IRS and review the Free File options and pick one.

@marylous42 

The IRS does not say you can use TurboTax for free.  TurboTax discontinued its affiliation with the Free File program several years ago.  

Use this IRS site for other ways to file for free.  There are 8  free software versions available from the IRS Free File site

https://apps.irs.gov/app/freeFile/

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies