Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts Retirement/Life Events! >> Event happening TOMORROW!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

The IRS changed my refund method from DD to paper check after i verified my identity. How and why would they do that? I cant get anyone at the IRS that can tell me an answer.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
MayaD
Expert Alumni

The IRS changed my refund method from DD to paper check after i verified my identity. How and why would they do that? I cant get anyone at the IRS that can tell me an answer.

IRS can’t deposit any part of a tax refund to an account that doesn’t belong to you (account that belongs to a relative, friend, or tax return preparer).

Also, you will receive a check if you omit a digit in the account or routing number of an account and the number doesn't pass the IRS's validation check, 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

It is the exact same account I have been using for almost 12 years. It has always been in only my name and the info is saved in TurboTax correctly from the last 12 years of me using that bank account (never had issues before). Also when they(the IRS) asked me to verify my identity we also verified my DD info.  

JulieS
Expert Alumni

Based on what you are saying, this must have been an error on their part. 

When you refund is delayed due to an identity verification request, the direct deposit would be suspended, but they should have reinstated it after they verified you and your direct deposit information. Apparently that did not happen. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies