Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

tcnps

"If Form 2210, Part II, Line A checkbox 'WaiverOfEntirePenalty' is checked, the [waiverexplanationstatement] must be attached to Form 2210". Is this a TurboTax issue?

Thank you, Mike!

"If Form 2210, Part II, Line A checkbox 'WaiverOfEntirePenalty' is checked, the [waiverexplanationstatement] must be attached to Form 2210". Is this a TurboTax issue?

Thank you, Mike.  You nailed it.  Turbotax, when are you going to fix this?

Guessing that the reason it gets rejected is because what's sent to the IRS doesn't include the required statement.  I suspect this because when I save the tax form as a PDF and then try to find the statement, its not there.  Specifically, using "Find", I cant find key words in the statement, like "confusion".  Called and described the problem to Turbotax support and requested a video call back where I could show them what's happening but so far ( over 2 hours ago ) haven't heard back.
n_rubio74

Thanks Mike. I was on phone with them for an hour as well, and they confirmed this is a known issue and they don't know when it will be solved. They recommended to file by mail...do you know if we need to include a separate Waiver Explanation Statement? The IRS instructions for From 2210 indicate that is enough writing "85% waiver" next to Part II box A.
TT processed my request for a refund. Unless it gets rejected, I was assured my money back in 5-7 days.

My situation was: TT online, underpayment in 2018 and qualified for the 85% waiver.
efcan68

Just got the same problem, still not working. I couldn't find any place to complain. Do you guys know where to call to get our money back so that I can switch to another tool?
n_rubio74

Go to Contact Us at the bottom of this site, submit your issue and they will give you and 800 number to call to
macnaz
Returning Member

In case helpful, and in follow-up to Mike D's (above) excellent and thorough Comments and Suggestions:  Following are some additional observations and experience I encountered regarding the TurboTax Form 2210 issues and my recent Today) filing (and acceptance) of my Federal and State Tax forms via TurboTax, utilizing the Desktop/CD version of TurboTax Premier (w/State) utilizing Mac OS:

As background:  I had an overpayment of Estimated Tax and Withholding compared to my actual tax liability; and, therefore, Form 2210 Instructions (and the Form, itself) instructed that the Form 2210 should not be filed (although the TurboTax Premier program automatically prepared this Form 2210 and populated, and selected, the Part II; Box A (with notation of "85% Waiver" typed in) with pre-filled "X" that the TurboTax program prevented from being "unchecked" (removed)... and, therefore, then, appending the Form 2210 to the tax return filing  (and, despite it not being applicable too my "overpayment of estimated tax" situation).

I decided (and subject to not knowing whether IRS will be processing my return without incident)  that submitting, via e-file, the tax forms (including the inapplicable Form 2210) was the better option than mailing (and because it seemed to preserve the TurboTax "guarantee" warranties; as well as on 2-16-2018, TurboTax had then removed the "Error Alerts" pertaining the Form 2210 issues---which, to me, seemed to imply that TurboTax didn't seem to think it was a real problem in having the Form 2210 submitted when not applicable).

Ultimately, after two unsuccessful (and rejected by IRS) attempts at filing my Federal Return (with the unneeded Form 2210, with "checked" Part II, Box A, attached) I was notified that the Federal and State return were "Accepted".  On the FIRST unsuccessful attempt, I simply submitted the Form 2210 with the Box A and "85% Waiver" checked/indicated, however, it was promptly "Rejected"  On the SECOND, unsuccessful attempt:  I added a "Statement" (via the "Explain" box, located  on the last line and right margin for the "Box B" (but, "Box B" NOT "checked")--whereby I simply stated "85% Exception Waiver, if applicable, requested due to Tax Reform and/or Other Reasons"---but, it was, also "Rejected".  However upon the THIRD attempt: In addition to the "Statement" and "Box A" being checked/completed:  I, also, this time, "checked" Item "C" ("Check" too have IRS figure the penalty and send a bill if penalty due, located at the top of Form 2210, above Part I).  And, after adding this, which I believe was critical in getting the return finally accepted) additional Item "C", I submitted my e-file filing, and received a notification email approximately 20-minutes later that it had been "accepted" by IRS.

After filing, and upon reviewing my printed returns:  The "Form 2210" was attached /included; and the "Statement/Explanation" that I had completed was actually included as the very-last page of the Federal Tax documents.  In addition, the printed "Form 2210 Form" DOES NOT include the "85% Exception Smart Worksheet", as seen on the TurboTax "Forms" version.  Also, when the Statement is in the process of being typed on the TurboTax "Explain" Form":  The typed letters/words become progressively "smaller" as addition letters are added---However, they appear in normal, readable size on the printed form included with the printed tax return.

With an abundance of caution:  This is simply my own experience with this lengthy journey with "Form 2210".... and, I have no idea if sending the Form 2210 with my Tax Return will result in any processing problems with IRS---However, I offer this since there seemed to be many loyal TurboTax customers, like myself, that were encountering obstacles in successfully, simply trying to submit (or, not submit) a relatively simple tax document via TurboTax.  

gt26

I did the same as hvolbol did with the desktop version.

1) Go to your return and open up the Forms view: icon in upper right corner
2) Open up the Form 2210
3) Go to Part II on form 2210 and click the "Explain" icon, located on the right side of the form, slightly below the checkbox for [A].
4) I entered "85% Waiver".
5) Went back to "EasyStep" via the icon in upper right.
6) Efiled.
7) Got the "accepted by IRS" message in about an hour.

whittsg07

Same problem, enter 85 % waiver, but was rejected again
jm7484

So if you are not using a desktop version there is currently no way to fix the issue?  The phone call back that I received from TT was a recorded message that my case was closed REALLY???

the fix came out yesterday in an update from turbo  for Form  2210.  It attaches a statement to the form and the efile works fine now.  I did need the form even though I owed no penalty.  I didn't want to change anything to 0 and delete the form because I don't want to risk an audit.    

I did the Turbo Tax update, restarted the program and tried to file. Rejected by IRS. I use a Mac with downloaded version of Turbo Tax. I have also tried all of the version work arounds suggested and none have worked for me.
macnaz
Returning Member

In response to ellenjerrycook's  above "comment", whereby you were using a Mac version:  In case helpful:  In my case I use the "CD-version of TurboTax Premier (using the Mac OS option).  And, I WAS NOT subject to an "underpayment penalty" situation (and, therefore, technically, I was not , under normal circumstances, required to file a Form 2210).  As indicate in more detail in my prior "post" (above, under "View More"):  I was able to successfully "submit" my Federal ands State Taxes and promptly receive an "Accepted" response from IRS and State.  In my case (where I not require an "underpayment penalty"):  TurboTax completed the Form 2210, "pre-filled" with Part I, Line 9, indicating "Yes"; and Part II, Box "A" "Checked" with an "X").  And, after two unsuccessful ("Rejected") attempts: I, first, completed (indicating "If applicable, '85% Waiver/Exception' requested due to Tax Reform and/or Other Reasons") the "Explain" Box  (locate in the "right-side" margin of the "Box B" (however, "BOX B" WAS NOT "checked")---and, upon resubmitting it for e-file:  I encountered my second reject "Reject".  However, I then completed (and "checked") the Line "C" (located at the very-top of Form 2210, above "Part II---where it indicates that" IRS can figure your underpayment penalty and send a bill (if necessary)".  And, upon adding (and "checking" this additional Box "C" (above Part I) and submitting it for e-file:  I (finally) received a green "Accepted" notification, via TurboTax,  within approximately 20-minutes.  In short, I simply determined that it was probably a "better option" for the IRS to "HAVE" the Form 2210 (and NOT need it), as opposed to IRS "NEEDING" the Form 2210 (and NOT HAVING it).

(NOTE (And just my opinion, as results can vary depending on the TT Version (Free, Basic, Deluxe, Premier, Home & Business, etc.), and TT Platform (On-Line, Download or CD):  In my own analysis: I determined, at least in my own case, that it was unwise to attempt to file my Returns via the frequently-discussed  "Work-Around" (whereby the 2017 Tax Liability if "changed" and"altered", to "Zero", in order to "Trick" (and, circumvent) the TurboTax program (and the related Form 2210 "Part I, Required Annual Payment" and "85% Exception Smart Worksheet" TurboTax calculations) into, forcefully, arriving at a "No Underpayment Penalty" result.  And, part of the reason I thought it was "unwise" to use this "Work-Around" method:  Is, in reviewing many of the TurboTax "posts, it appeared, in some cases, that fellow "posters", may be under the assumption that when a "Refund: is due on the 2018 Taxes, that it might automatically imply that an "underpayment penalty" is not due or applicable.  And, since the accurate 2017 Tax Liability figure is critical in determining whether an "underpayment penalty" is due:  I could provide a false-result in regard to when a potential "underpayment penalty" might be actually due.  In addition, the TurboTax program in very-intricately, inter-connected in terms of the various figures---and whereby, what might seem as, simply, an isolated change to one figure--- Could, potentially, cause a migration to other aspects (and related-calculations) within the TurboTax program, and, potentially, affecting the accuracy off other critical Form's data (e.g. tax refunds (and data) pertaining to "Itemized Deductions" on both Federal and State Returns; Amended Returns (if later needed); and,  Turbo-Tax's "Transfers" of data from this years, "2018 Return", to next year's 2019 TurboTax calculations and forms.

As additional "feedback"  (and which I though encouraging, given all the problems and challenges encountered with "Form 2210"):  This morning, I checked on the "status" of my "IRS Refund" on the IRS Refund website:  And, this morning, the status on the website indicated that my direct-deposit refund was approved and scheduled for deposit on 02-26-19 (and, which I  e-filed my Return via TurboTax on 02-18-2019 (only 8-days before, which I was impressed with the short timeframe).
wchar

My problem was that even I was getting a refund, TT erroneously added form 2210 because checkbox A in Part II was checked. The fix was pretty simple, 

in form mode (desktop version)

goto form 2210

find checkbox A in part II

right click on the checkbox and select override

Uncheck the checkbox and TT removes form 2210 for you

Save it and resubmit. Worked fine.

HS1
Returning Member

I managed to get around this issue on the Turbo Tax online version. I too should have been protected by this 2018 85% waiver protection rule and I would need to file  2210 and mark Box A of section III of 2210 and write 85% Waiver per IRS instructions. However, such e-filing done by turbo tax is rejected by IRS due to Turbo Tax or IRS bug which everybody is complaining about. Deleting form 2210 would allow the return to be accepted but there is danger of not being protected by this 85% waiver rule and later on IRS may send us an underpayment penalty bill. I decided to take that risk. Deleting form 2210 is not possible without fooling Turbo tax, in order to fool Turbo tax, I revisited the underpayment penalty section and said my last year tax liability was zero and said last year income was zero. This then allowed me to delete form 2210 and my e-file was successfully accepted by California and Federal. Use this work around at your own risk as I am not qualified to give tax advice. Also my work around above has the danger of losing the 85% protection waiver and later on IRS may charge us for underpayment because of this work around. Perhaps you should wait for Turbo Tax & IRS to fix this issue properly instead of using my dirty work around.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies