Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

The federal taxpayer ID number is incorrect on my 1099. I was notified after i filed my 2020 taxes. What should I do

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
HelenC12
Expert Alumni

The federal taxpayer ID number is incorrect on my 1099. I was notified after i filed my 2020 taxes. What should I do

If you're return gets rejected, you could correct it and e-file it again.

If your return gets accepted, you don't need to amend it since the FEIN does not change your tax return bottom line (refund or amount due). The IRS will reconcile your income with your SSN. 

Some of the reasons you would need to amend your tax return: 

• You need to report a tax form you forgot about or received post-filing (most commonly a W-2, 1099, or 1095-A).
  • You received a corrected tax form after filing (the "corrected" box is checked) and the new info changes your refund or tax due amount.
  • You forgot to report income or claim dependents, deductions, or credits.
  • You accidentally claimed dependents, deductions, or credits you're not eligible for.
  • You made an error that affects your bottom line, such as reporting income or deductions in 2020 that should've been claimed in a prior tax year (in that case, you'll need to amend all affected tax years).
  • You need to change your filing status (for example, you want to change from Single to Head of Household).
  • We instructed you to amend because of a program error (uncommon).
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Glfcyco18

I went into my turbotax and no error message was there. What next?

MayaD
Expert Alumni

Did the IRS reject the return?

It the return was rejected, revisit the Federal Income section to correct your 1099 form and re-submit your return. How do I fix a rejected return?

If the IRS accepted your return, You don't need to do anything.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies