turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Which turbotax products do I need to use? I'll have stock trade income, and bank interest income, and regular work income.

Which turbotax products do I need to use? I'll have stock trade income, and bank interest income, and regular work income.

Can I use Free Turbotax production to file my tax for 2018? or do I have to use the one I have to pay for better version?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies

The TurboTax online Free edition is used for fairly simple tax return and supports IRS Forms 1040EZ and 1040A.

A tax return with stock sales would not be able to use the Free edition since to report those sales you need the full Form 1040, Schedule D and Form 8949.  In tax year 2017 you would need to use the Premier or Self-Employed online editions to report the stock sales.  The assumption is that this will also continue for tax year 2018.

Or you could use any of the TurboTax desktop CD/Download editions since all the desktop editions support stock sales.

CD/Download with Basic version also can use for stock sales?
If i buy CD/Downlaod version can I use forever or do I need to buy every year to file tax?

The Basic desktop CD/Download edition supports stock sales.
Each tax year is a separate program so you would need to purchase the software each tax year.

Thank you so much!

The Basic does not come with a state program ... so if you have to file a state return get the Deluxe.

but.....BASIC does not include one free state download..so if you need a state tax return, and are buying desktop....get Deluxe.

(be careful if buying from anyone else though....some Deluxe's do not include a free state download)

Note that the Basic edition does Not come with a free state download.  If you need a state tax return then you should purchase the Deluxe edition which includes a free state program in the purchase price.

You have to buy a new program each year.  The CD or download is only for 1 year.  
Anonymous
Not applicable

you do not have to buy through intuit.  Amazon, Costco and other reliable sources  may offer the same version at a cheaper price.   beware of some websites, what they offer and what you get may not be the same. and may even be unusable 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies