turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

The Artificial Stupidity said "I can't get you in touch with anyone until you select a TurboTax product and begin working on your return." Which I HAVE already done!

Credit Union failed to send 1099-INT, but there is a PDF online which combines interest on two accounts into one total, when one of the accounts is for managing a rental property.  Also TurboTax said lowest tax would be by filing jointly, when in fact, it does not know because none of the income has been entered yet.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

The Artificial Stupidity said "I can't get you in touch with anyone until you select a TurboTax product and begin working on your return." Which I HAVE already done!

Generally, if you look at your bank statement or even scroll through your history of banking activity, you will be able to figure out the amount that is personal vs the amount that is for a rental property. You will just enter this amount without the 1099-INT as if you had one.

The reason TurboTax is telling you that, is in many situations, when you are married, you make out better when you file jointly.  This is because many credits are limited or not available for filing separately, and things like Social Security become 85% taxable automatically regardless of income.  So, it is possible that your situation will be different and you would be better off filing a separate return, so, the best thing to do is to run the numbers both ways and then compare the results. 

If you are using the desktop version, you can use the What If form.  If you are using the online version, you can just create a dummy account to avoid entering and deleting the information multiple times.

Married Filing Joint versus Separate

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies