Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

The amount in box 1 and box 3 is different on my W2, but the amounts are the same on my husband's.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

The amount in box 1 and box 3 is different on my W2, but the amounts are the same on my husband's.

The amounts in box 1 and box 3 of your W-2 will be different if you had a pre-tax deduction.  Some pre-tax deductions reduce your taxable income (box 1) and your social security income (box 3).  Other pre-tax deductions only reduce your taxable income (box 1).  If you have a deduction that only reduces your taxable income then the amounts in box 1 and box 3 will be different.  Generally these pre-tax deductions are listed in either box 12 or box 14.  You can calculate the difference between box 1 and box 3 and see if the amount matches any amounts in box 12 or box 14.  If they do not you can also contact your employer to ask which deductions are being deducted from your federal income and not your social security income.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

The amounts in box 1 and box 3 of your W-2 will be different if you had a pre-tax deduction.  Some pre-tax deductions reduce your taxable income (box 1) and your social security income (box 3).  Other pre-tax deductions only reduce your taxable income (box 1).  If you have a deduction that only reduces your taxable income then the amounts in box 1 and box 3 will be different.  Generally these pre-tax deductions are listed in either box 12 or box 14.  You can calculate the difference between box 1 and box 3 and see if the amount matches any amounts in box 12 or box 14.  If they do not you can also contact your employer to ask which deductions are being deducted from your federal income and not your social security income.

aesitil

What if you have 2 W2's and box 1 and box 3 are the same amount on each one?

Are the two W2's from the same employer?
wolf570

Box 3 is less box 1.  Don't know why.   Box 4 was calculated based on box 1.   Turbo tax says Box 4 should be  calculated using box 3.   Difference is $100.    Who is right and why is Box 3 less than Box 1? 

Tom

wolf570

Box 3 is less box 1.  Don't know why.   Box 4 was calculated based on box 1.   Turbo tax says Box 4 should be  calculated using box 3.   Difference is $100.    Who is right and why is Box 3 less than Box 1? 

Irene2805
Expert Alumni

Box 1 will be smaller than Box 3 when you have deductions that reduce your taxable income, for example contributions to your employer's retirement plan/401k.  You can usually find an explanation of the amount subtracted listed in Box 12, with the explanation code.

Box 4 (Social security tax withheld) should be calculated on Box 3 (Social security wages).  [TurboTax is correct.]

Please see this article on what to do if too much Social Security tax is withheld:  Can I get a refund for excess Social Security tax withheld?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies