Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

4x4gal

My 2018 had a communation problem at Pru. The amt sent was $19,500 & should have been $19549.00 Error caught in 2019 and additional monies sent. Where do I report that?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My 2018 had a communation problem at Pru. The amt sent was $19,500 & should have been $19549.00 Error caught in 2019 and additional monies sent. Where do I report that?

The additional money would have to be reported as income in 2019.

If this money was needed to satisfy the RMD you would ask for a waiver of the penalty and tell them due the oversight it was taken by April 1st of the following year and IRS will waive the penalty.

Assuming that 2018 was not your first RMD year, the late distribution must be made before filing Form 5329 to request a waiver of the 50% excess accumulation penalty.  This distribution made in 2019 will be reportable on your 2019 tax return along with the 2019 RMD that needs to be taken before the end of the year.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

The additional money would have to be reported as income in 2019.

If this money was needed to satisfy the RMD you would ask for a waiver of the penalty and tell them due the oversight it was taken by April 1st of the following year and IRS will waive the penalty.

Assuming that 2018 was not your first RMD year, the late distribution must be made before filing Form 5329 to request a waiver of the 50% excess accumulation penalty.  This distribution made in 2019 will be reportable on your 2019 tax return along with the 2019 RMD that needs to be taken before the end of the year.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies