mapssearch

Error on 1009R from sender

I am on SS disability. Withdrew money from my retirement account. Provided supporting evidence I am on disability. Retirement fund put incorrect code in Box 7 of 1099R. of #7 and it should be #3 for disability. Called company today and they said there is a new law that they can NOT correct 1099R. They said it's my responsibility to file a form with my taxes to correct the 1099R.

Is this true? If so what do I need to do. Two years ago they corrected an erroneous 1099R for me.

PhyllisG

Error on 1009R from sender

The 2018 instructions for the Form 1099-R states that the issuer is responsible for correcting the any errors. Below is an excerpt from page 9 of the 2018 Forms 1099-R and 5498.

" If you filed a Form 1099-R with the IRS and later discover that there is an error on it, you must correct it as soon as possible." 

The 2019 General Instructions for Certain Information Returns has also not changed the requirement for the issuer to correct any Form 1099 mistakes.  Click this link Information Returns General Instructions.  An error chart is shown on page 11 that you can refer to when conversing with the company that issued the Form 1099-R.

PhyllisG

Error on 1009R from sender