Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

luojirome

The e-file was rejected because of IND-032-04. The AGI is correct (same as transcript), is it because my wife used ITIN last year but now use SSN?

We did married joining file last year, my wife used ITIN. This year she got SSN
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MicheleR

The e-file was rejected because of IND-032-04. The AGI is correct (same as transcript), is it because my wife used ITIN last year but now use SSN?

Yes, it could be. The AGI must match what was listed for your spouse with the connecting identifying information such as the Social Security/ITIN number. You have the option to choose how your spouse filed in 2016. Per the new Social Security number, you can select that she "did not file" in 2016 for AGI purposes. If it rejects after making this choice you will need to print and mail in your return.

To Access this section to update your selection:

• Choose "File" located in your Menu Bar on the left-hand side of your screen.
  • In Step Three (3) choose to "E-File" your return
  • On the next screen, it will say "Last year's tax info", choose "Edit" next to your wife's name
  • Click "Continue"
  • On the next screen is where you can choose "Did not file"

View solution in original post

19 Replies
MicheleR

Yes, it could be. The AGI must match what was listed for your spouse with the connecting identifying information such as the Social Security/ITIN number. You have the option to choose how your spouse filed in 2016. Per the new Social Security number, you can select that she "did not file" in 2016 for AGI purposes. If it rejects after making this choice you will need to print and mail in your return.

To Access this section to update your selection:

• Choose "File" located in your Menu Bar on the left-hand side of your screen.
  • In Step Three (3) choose to "E-File" your return
  • On the next screen, it will say "Last year's tax info", choose "Edit" next to your wife's name
  • Click "Continue"
  • On the next screen is where you can choose "Did not file"

This just happened to me. In 2018, when I filed my 2017 married filing jointly taxes, I entered my wife's ITIN and her identifier. In 2018, she received her new SSN. Now that I filed my 2018 married filing jointly taxes, TurboTax automatically pulled her 2017 AGI/PIN (linked to her ITIN), so I got the same rejection as above (I entered her SSN as her identifier in our 2018 married filing jointly taxes).

When TurboTax attempted to fix this problem, I entered $0 as her 2017 AGI, and it worked. My 2018 taxes were accepted.
vikramr2k

I did the same. Made it 0$.

Thank you - I did the same and made it $0 - Waiting for the result

did it work? I am getting the same rejection

It worked for me. My return was accepted after I made the previous year AGI as $0.

Thanks I did the same.. lets see
Sid84

Just ran into the exact same issue. Trying $0 for spouse's 2017 AGI.
Update: 15 mins later - It WORKED. $0 in AGI seems to have gotten the e-file accepted.

@tathagata_gangul - Can you please tell me if you selected "Did not File" or "Yes, she filed" and put in $0 in AGI? Thank you!

I selected “did not file” since the last filing was with the ITIN and not SSN for my spouse.

I Selected "She Filed" and Put AGI as "0" and that worked for me and as I see for many users as per comments above

I re-filed and marked my spouse as "did not file in 2016" and my return was accepted. It was previously returned. So this works!!! Thank you

This just happened to me. In 2018, when I filed my 2017 married filing jointly taxes, I entered my wife's ITIN and her identifier. In 2018, she received her new SSN. Now that I filed my 2018 married filing jointly taxes, TurboTax automatically pulled her 2017 AGI/PIN (linked to her ITIN), so I got the same rejection as above (I entered her SSN as her identifier in our 2018 married filing jointly taxes).

When TurboTax attempted to fix this problem, I entered $0 as her 2017 AGI, and it worked. My 2018 taxes were accepted.

Please see the below instruction from IRS:
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/e-file-providers/self-select-pin-method-for-forms-1040-and-4868-modernized-e-fil...>

If my client had an ITIN (IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification Number) when they filed their prior year tax return, but now has a SSN for the current filing season, what prior year AGI amount do they use?

If your client had an ITIN when they filed their prior year tax return, but now has a SSN to file their current year tax return, they should use Zero (0) as the prior year AGI amount.

I wish TurboTax would make this a part of the questionnaire to avoid rejection for people subject to this very common scenario.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies