Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My exwife is a german citizen, but I still pay her alimony. She and I both live in Germany (I am a US Federal Employee). Turbo Tax asks for her SSN. Will not let me efile

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
LeeM

My exwife is a german citizen, but I still pay her alimony. She and I both live in Germany (I am a US Federal Employee). Turbo Tax asks for her SSN. Will not let me efile

First, you would be required to withhold taxes on the alimony you paid your ex (unless there is a tax treaty in place regarding alimony). She would have to file a return to get those taxes bank and apply for an ITIN. You would then use the ITIN on your return.

If you don't have an ITIN/SSN for her now, you would have to file on paper or file an extension until you get her ITIN.

From the IRS instructions at the link here:https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/federal-income-tax-withholding-and-reporting...

Alimony

U.S. source alimony paid to a nonresident alien former spouse is reportable for any amount in excess of zero. Withhold at 30% or lesser tax treaty rate, if applicable (See Table 1 in IRS Publication 515 or 901). The beneficial owner of the income may claim the benefit of the tax treaty article which deals with "Alimony" (sometimes contained within another treaty article, or sometimes available by using the "Other Income" article of a tax treaty). The beneficial owner may claim the lesser tax treaty rate by filing Form W-8BEN with the withholding agent. The withholding agent will report the payment on Forms 1042 and 1042-S, even if the entire amount is exempt under a tax treaty.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
LeeM

First, you would be required to withhold taxes on the alimony you paid your ex (unless there is a tax treaty in place regarding alimony). She would have to file a return to get those taxes bank and apply for an ITIN. You would then use the ITIN on your return.

If you don't have an ITIN/SSN for her now, you would have to file on paper or file an extension until you get her ITIN.

From the IRS instructions at the link here:https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/federal-income-tax-withholding-and-reporting...

Alimony

U.S. source alimony paid to a nonresident alien former spouse is reportable for any amount in excess of zero. Withhold at 30% or lesser tax treaty rate, if applicable (See Table 1 in IRS Publication 515 or 901). The beneficial owner of the income may claim the benefit of the tax treaty article which deals with "Alimony" (sometimes contained within another treaty article, or sometimes available by using the "Other Income" article of a tax treaty). The beneficial owner may claim the lesser tax treaty rate by filing Form W-8BEN with the withholding agent. The withholding agent will report the payment on Forms 1042 and 1042-S, even if the entire amount is exempt under a tax treaty.

Thanks...I called my ex wife and she states she does have a SSN. Can I use that even though she pays no US taxes ( is not a US Citizen) and has not lived in the States since 2011
LeeM

Absolutely. That is exactly what you need. You should be able to review your return and file now. Let me know if you have any questions.

TTLeeM, if you copy someone elses answer word for word, please give proper credit

@adam.j.fick by using her SSN, you will be informing the IRS that she has income subject to US taxation.  They may not be able to force her to pay, but they will certainly remember if she ever comes to the states.  All US citizens are supposed to pay US income tax no matter where in the world they live.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies