Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Taxes

Probably a dumb question,  but, i won 9 Grand on lottery 3/2023. When cashed, Lottery Official took out $2,160 in Federal Taxes.  Friends are telling Me to file and get it all back. But, im not itemizing, i am full retirement age in Florida, and only receive Social Security . No part time jobs, or no other Income!! What is a Professional Opinion, Thanks

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Taxes

Well you have to enter the full $9,000 as income on your tax return.  And enter the withholding.  Whether you get a refund or not depends on your total income, withholding, filing status, etc.  But if you only get Social Security you would probably get all the withholding back.  You should file a tax return.  You don't need to itemize to get it back.  

View solution in original post

3 Replies
KrisD15
Expert Alumni

Taxes

You should probably file and get at least some of that Federal tax refunded. 

HERE is a link to a new IRS direct tax service you might try. It should be free for you to use.

HERE is a link to the IRS Free File 

HERE is a link to start with TurboTax Free. Depending on the forms you need, it might not let you file for free. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Taxes

Well you have to enter the full $9,000 as income on your tax return.  And enter the withholding.  Whether you get a refund or not depends on your total income, withholding, filing status, etc.  But if you only get Social Security you would probably get all the withholding back.  You should file a tax return.  You don't need to itemize to get it back.  

Taxes

VolvoGirl. 

Quick Shoutout for answering My Question. Didn't believe My Brothers. Tested waters here. Y'all were right. I'm getting every penny the Lottery Office charged Me. Thanks Ma'am!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies