turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

taxes for deceased person

I downloaded TurboTax Premier. In addition to my taxes, I need to file for a deceased brother. When I go to "Start a new return" and attempt to enter "Personal Info" I do not see an option for deceased on the page, and there are a number of unanswerable question (occupation, zip code, etc). What is the correct way to begin a return for a deceased person?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Ok ... in the MY INFO section there is indeed a question about a DOD  and the return must have an address associated with the person filing the decedent's return.   As for occupation just enter deceased since it really doesn't matter ... you can have a laugh and put in permanently retired if you wish. 

DOD.PNG

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Ok ... in the MY INFO section there is indeed a question about a DOD  and the return must have an address associated with the person filing the decedent's return.   As for occupation just enter deceased since it really doesn't matter ... you can have a laugh and put in permanently retired if you wish. 

DOD.PNG

Thanks for your quick reply. I do not see a tab called MY INFO on the initial page of my TurboTax Premier.  There is a tab called Personal Info, but there are no options as shown in your screen shot. In particular, no "I'm preparing this return for Taxpayer who has passed away". The first question under Personal Info asks what "I" do for a living, and the second question asks for Home Zip Code where "I" lived on Dec 31. 2019. There does not seem to be a sidebar with options to select. (I am using a Mac if that matters).

Ok ... MY INFO and PERSONAL INFO are the same thing depending on which program you are using ...  so enter the decedent's name, the state where they last lived and click on the decedent question to enter the DOD.  Later enter the address of the personal rep handling the return.  If you are still having issues with this please contact TT support for one on one live guidance.

1....jpg2....jpg3....jpg

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies