turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Moonfamily3
Returning Member

Taxation of lawsuit for personal injury settlement that is inclusive of PIP

Hi

We just agreed on a settlement for a personal injury settlement that is also inclusive of PIP ( personal injury protection lien that is to be repaid to my insurance company).  I was involved in an accident and suffered physical and emotional  injuries. Right now, I have only a one line email stating the settlement . The release is for the full amount $125K . "The plantiff will accept, and defendant will pay the sum of   $100K settlement is inclusive of PIP ( $25K) and all other liens in full settlement of all claims in this case. " PIP is part of my auto insurance coverage which pays for all my medical expenses related to the accident. For the last two years they have been paying all my medical expenses.  I will need to pay my auto insurance back the $25K.  I really only get to keep $100K.

Is the $100K and  25K PIP lien portion taxable? What information do I need to obtain from my lawyers for tax purposes and to insure its not taxable? What tax form should they be providing me?  My lawyers are not 'accountants' or into the detail and I'm concerned.  How would I report this on my tax return. 

If I had obtained as part of the settlement , monies for future care ( ie. medical expenses) would this be taxable?  

Thank you for your help

Mary

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

Personal injury settlements are not taxable. So, there is nothing you need to obtain for tax purposes, other than keeping a record that this was a personal injury settlement with the amount.  The email you have would be sufficient to show the amount and any other records you have like court documents, would show what the suit and settlement are for. 

The portion used for medical expenses are not taxable either. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Moonfamily3
Returning Member

My lawyers are  resonsible for filling out a w-9? 

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

Please clarify why you need a W-9?  A W-9 is a Request for Taxpayer Identification Number and Certification.

Regardless of what it is for, it does not change @Vanessa A   answer.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Moonfamily3
Returning Member

It was part of the settlement that the plantiff lawyers prepare the W9. This is what got me thinking.. and posing my question here.

Thanks

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies