Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tax2020 and tax2021 files won't open - AGAIN

This is honestly getting ridiculous.  

• First, I complete my 2020 taxes using a known good save file (I religiously save everything MANUALLY to a second offsite backup at every save).  
  • Mid-2021, I need to access some info from my tax filing so I open TurboTax.  It updates (this is the problem) and now it won't open my KNOWN GOOD file or my SEPERATE backup.  I'm annoyed but figure it's a one off and get my info from the PDF.
  • 2022 time to start a tax file.  TT2021 will now also not open my KNOWN GOOD 2020 tax file that I used multiple times for that filing.  Extremely annoying, that's a lot of info I'm going to have to manually re-enter but I bite the bullet and start on my W-2's.
  • 2 weeks later - I have some more W-2's to enter and I pop open TT2021.  It needs to update as always.  Now it won't open my new saves either - again they were known working previously.  Before I left them I closed the program and reopened them just to make sure they worked.  The update has broken TT again.

Now I don't know what to do.  I possibly could do my taxes all in one session but I don't want to be permanently locked out of the file once I close it - that's ludicrous. 

I've searched for solutions and there is a ton of conjecture and Intuit offers useless platitudes like "re-install TurboTax."  It's 2022, installations of programs are not getting corrupted on disk anymore, reinstalling does nothing but waste time and energy so that people give up and just re-input the data.  

I have a new windows machine, never had an issue with any other corrupted files, tested these files before leaving them so I know they work anyway.  I save a separate backup offsite so it's not the file, it's the program.  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

This is getting so insane I feel like I'm on a reality show.

Not only is there zero support for a major technical issue that breaks the product - now I'm trying to get a refund and their refund widget on their site simply doesn't work.

I'm trying to call in and there is literally no way to get to a human being to discuss my issue because the phone tree doesn't have one.  It offers to charge me $29 for Tax Support since it thinks I'm using the free TurboTax Online product.  I'm actually a paying customer of TurboTax Advantage and TurboTax Deluxe but I still can't find a way to get a human being on the line.  

This has to be an illegal practice.  I will give them one chance to correct me and if not I will be documenting everything and filing a chargeback on my credit card. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies
LindseyLO
Intuit Alumni

Please click here to access the provided thread that will give some assistance and possible work around your issue. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I specifically said that I read those answers.  It is statistically improbable at best that in 2022 this many installations are getting corrupted on this many customer installs UNLESS YOU HAVE AN ISSUE THAT YOU ARE NOT TELLING US ABOUT?  

Uninstalling and reinstalling TT is a platitude solution intended to cause me to spend my own time and it's designed to make most customers give up.  I have already confirmed in my original message that my save files DID WORK prior to installing patches.  This should tell you that it was not the original install that broke if you had any reading comprehension.  

This indicates you have introduced some issue with your patches and you are aware of it I suspect?!?  If reinstalling TT is the solution and you know it because you are aware of a fault in your own system then please tell me  - at that time I will take that step.  Until then I simply refuse to accept that 2 versions of your software have had corrupt installations in the year 2022?!?  I haven't had a corrupted installation of something since the days of having to load multiple CD's and it simply doesn't happen these days with enough frequency for you to blame this on it for more than a tiny handful of cases.

Please let me know if you are actually aware of an issue and if reinstalling is a known fix for that issue!!!  Otherwise I will go on the assumption that you are asking me to "turn it off and on again" hoping it fixes it or I give up.  I will not do that and I expect a reasonable answer from you or your engineering staff!

This is getting so insane I feel like I'm on a reality show.

Not only is there zero support for a major technical issue that breaks the product - now I'm trying to get a refund and their refund widget on their site simply doesn't work.

I'm trying to call in and there is literally no way to get to a human being to discuss my issue because the phone tree doesn't have one.  It offers to charge me $29 for Tax Support since it thinks I'm using the free TurboTax Online product.  I'm actually a paying customer of TurboTax Advantage and TurboTax Deluxe but I still can't find a way to get a human being on the line.  

This has to be an illegal practice.  I will give them one chance to correct me and if not I will be documenting everything and filing a chargeback on my credit card. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies