Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tax Return not Located

In March I rolled over my 2021 tax return information to start my 2022 tax return. I worked on the 2022 return but did not complete it. I was trying to go back to it but the file is nowhere to be found. I find it hard to believe that I did not save the return, because I am very careful to hit "save" when I exit a return. Is there any way to retrieve the 2022 return that I worked on? I have the desktop/download version of TurboTax.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
jerrbut
Returning Member

Tax Return not Located

Alas, I cannot help you.  If it was saved be assured it would be there.  The last thing you see when you are exiting the program is "do you want to save this return?  Click yes.  I believe you clicked no by mistake.  Sometimes when you are moving too fast or paying attention to something else, your finger just wants to say no.  Sorry to hear about that.

Tax Return not Located

The saved tax data file will have a file extension of .tax2022.  By default TurboTax saves the data file and any saved PDF's in the TurboTax folder within the Documents directory on your C:\ drive.

You can search your hard drives for a *.tax* file.  Also, look in any removable drives, networks drives or in OneDrive or any cloud based drives.  Additionally make sure the data file is not in the Recycle Bin if you are using Windows.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies