Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tax return dilemma... what step to take next?

I'm having a bit of a tax return dilemma, so below is the order of events, please let me know what my mom should do next.

So I e-filed return on Jan 16th and it was accepted on Jan 24th.
-I filed single and that no one can claim me as a dependent.
-My mom e-filed on Jan 25th, and she put that she was head of household and could claim me as a dependent.
-Her return was rejected on Jan 27th because she cannot claim me if i already claimed myself, which is the case.
-So per the rejection instructions, her rejection email said that she would have to mail in her return with a note attached stating that her return is correct, and once I receive my return, I would have to amend mine.
-So my mom mailed off her return that same day Jan 27th.
-So a couple days pass, she is going over her info and realizes that I was correct in claiming myself and that my tax return is correct after all, and that she needs to file as single (not head of household) and NOT claim me as a dependent.
-So, with this realization, I dont have to amend anymore, my return can continue processing smooth sailing.

So my question is, what happens now with my moms return? what does she need to do as of now? She's been checking the "wheres my refund" checker but it appears they havent received her paper return yet. Should she just go ahead a efile the correct return? thank you

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

FIRST ... are you a dependent or not ?   Once you are clear on that a path for both of you will be ...

Who can I claim as my dependent?

You can claim a child, relative, friend, or fiancé (etc.) as a dependent on your 2018 taxes as long as they meet the following requirements:

Qualifying child

• They are related to you.
  • They aren't claimed as a dependent by someone else.
  • They are a U.S. citizen, resident alien, national, or a Canadian or Mexican resident.
  • They aren’t filing a joint return with their spouse.
  • They are under the age of 19 (or 24 for full-time students).
    • No age limit for permanently and totally disabled children.
  • They live with you for more than half the year (exceptions apply).
  • They didn't provide more than half of their own support for the year.

Qualifying relative

• They don't have to be related to you (despite the name).
  • They aren't claimed as a dependent by someone else.
  • They are a U.S. citizen, resident alien, national, or a Canadian or Mexican resident.
  • They aren’t filing a joint return with their spouse.
  • They lived with you the entire year.
  • They made less than $4,150 in 2018 ($4,250 in 2019).
  • You provided more than half of their financial support.

100% im not a dependent.

ReginaM
Expert Alumni

Your mom should correct her Rejected Return in TurboTax and by following these steps:

Sign in to your account and select the Fix my return button. Follow any “fix it” instructions to update the information causing the rejection.

If you were guided through fixing your reject, select the option to refile when you’ve finished.

If you had to navigate to the area in the program yourself, when you’ve finished, select File in the left-hand menu (mobile devices: go to the upper-left corner to open the side menu, then select File). Follow the onscreen instructions to either e-file your return or file by mail.

If you get the same rejection a second time select the File by mail option to paper-file your return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

If mom has already mailed in her return then she should WAIT until the IRS processes the original return and she has her refund in hand ... then mail in the amended return to send back the excess refund. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies