turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tax Return Deleted When Software Updated in April

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

After completing my return, I logged in, shortly before April 15 to complete my return.

I ran the suggested update since Corona Virus announcements had been coming out extending the due date, and I didn't know if anything else had changed.

After that my tax return was gone and I can't find it in my trash or elsewhere on my computer.

I don't know if there is any way to fix this, but I thought you should be aware that my 20 hours of work on preparing the tax return seemed to have been deleted.

Anonymous
Not applicable

are you in the correct a/c?  I believe you are the first to report such a problem.   Since updates are to the program and not the data file it should still be there.  maybe contact support.  

My husband says it's probably my fault for not saving properly. :(

Anonymous
Not applicable

The TurboTax download software is not an autosave program.  You must manually save your work.  By default, TurboTax saves your .tax file in a TurboTax folder that is located in your Document folder in Windows or the Document folder in Mac. 

If you are using Windows, open File Explorer (the yellow folder in your dock) and click on "This PC" in the left menu.  Now, click on "Local Disk" and type in (.tax) in the search on the upper right of the folder.

Windows will search the drive for the file.  If the file isn't there and not in your trash, it was not saved.

I know some people believe that they save the files but if it is saved, it will show up on the hard drive.  Always save your file as you go, especially if you have been putting a lot of hours into it because the software doesn't autosave.  If your power goes out and you had 10 hours of work without saving, you will lose it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

The correct account would not have anything to do with a TurboTax download or CD software.  The correct account have to do with the TurboTax online software.  The online software autosaves.

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies