Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tax form rejected for invalid zip code. Zip code is valid but review will not accept it.

Turbo Tax will not let me continue with my return because in the review stage it claims one of my 1099-R forms has an invalid zip code. In review I verified the zip was entered exactly as stated on the 1099-R. Review stage would still not accept it. I tried again by reentering the zip using the acceptable formats but no matter what I try it keeps getting flagged for an invalid zip code. I googled the zip code and it is valid. any help on this issue will be greatly appreciated. Thank You
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

28 Replies

Tax form rejected for invalid zip code. Zip code is valid but review will not accept it.

Delete the Form 1099-R and re-enter manually.

Enter 1099-r in the Search box located in the upper right of the program screen. Click on Jump to 1099-R

I also have the same issue.  USPS search verifies correct zip code.  Called TIAA and they also verified correct zip code.  Adding 4 digets or deleting zip code also does not work.  Please fix this or tell me what to do next.  Cannot file when TT shows an error.  Address for TIAA is 8500 Andrew Carnegie Blve, Charlotte, NC 28262.

PattiF
Expert Alumni

You may receive a message like:

ZIP code is invalid for Electronic Filing. You must enter a valid ZIP code for your state. Enter a correct ZIP code in this format 'nnnnn' or 'nnnnn-nnnn'

TurboTax follows the IRS guidelines for acceptable ZIP codes. If the two-letter state abbreviation doesn't match the ZIP code, you'll receive this error when attempting to e-file.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
ALBAK
Returning Member

I tried entering the info manually and it still won't let me e-file

@ALBAK  What is the city, state and zipcode?

ALBAK
Returning Member

100 Magellan Way KW1C

Covington, KY   [social security number removed]

The correct zip for that address is 41015.  Try deleting the KW1C next to the street name.

ALBAK
Returning Member

Thats the zip I'm using, still rejects it. The address is exactly as per the 1099 that I received from the payer.  [social security number removed] is the zip that turbotax rejects.

ALBAK
Returning Member

1987 is behind the zip of 41015.  I also tried dropping the KW1C and it still rejects it.

DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Try dropping the 1987 instead.  If you can't get this resolved, also make sure that your program is updated.  If all of the above is not resolving it, call into customer service, as from this forum our customer service for an issue like this is limited to suggesting what might work, but we don't have access to your program.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
ALBAK
Returning Member

Program has been updated.  I also tried dropping the last four digits from the 9 digit zip code, still rejected.  Can't help but say I'm pretty disappointed, have used turbotax for years never once had a problem.

ALBAK
Returning Member

Pretty sure a company like Fidelity would put the right address and zip code on there 1099.

@ ALBAK 

TurboTax can at times say there is a "zip code" error when it's actually something else wrong with the address causing it to mismatch.

Be sure you're not using any punctuation in the address (except for perhaps the hyphen in the zip + four, if choose to use the 4).  In a comment above you typed a comma in the address.  Be sure you didn't enter the comma into TurboTax.  And be sure that nothing in the address is misspelled.

ALBAK
Returning Member

Trust me, I typed it in just as it is on the 1099. I printed out the return and mailed it in.  With the one error/rejection turbotax would not let me e-file.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies