Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

JRanum
Returning Member

Tax credits

I'm expecting some large tax credits this year from things like purchasing an EV and installing solar on my roof. How should I update my W-4 election to minimize tax withholdings from my paycheck?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Tax credits

Updated

Adjusting your withholding could move your refund to your paychecks

If getting your refund throughout the year rather than at tax time sounds appealing, you can adjust your withholding today. To do so, you'll need to fill out a new Form W-4 and submit it to your employer.

This form requires you to fill in a few sections depending on your situation. The more accurately you complete the form, the more precise your withholding should be.

• For those with multiple jobs or that have a spouse that works, you'll need to complete Step 2.
  • Otherwise, you can use Step 3, claiming dependents, and Step 4, other adjustments, to make changes to your withholding.
  • These options allow you to reduce the tax withheld through claiming tax credits or deductions.
  • They also let you add other sources of income or extra withholding if you find you want more money withheld from your paycheck.

Tools, such as withholding tax calculators, can help you figure out what to fill in on the various steps of Form W-4. You'll have to answer questions about your tax situation before the calculator will tell you how to fill out your Form W-4.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Tax credits

Updated

Adjusting your withholding could move your refund to your paychecks

If getting your refund throughout the year rather than at tax time sounds appealing, you can adjust your withholding today. To do so, you'll need to fill out a new Form W-4 and submit it to your employer.

This form requires you to fill in a few sections depending on your situation. The more accurately you complete the form, the more precise your withholding should be.

• For those with multiple jobs or that have a spouse that works, you'll need to complete Step 2.
  • Otherwise, you can use Step 3, claiming dependents, and Step 4, other adjustments, to make changes to your withholding.
  • These options allow you to reduce the tax withheld through claiming tax credits or deductions.
  • They also let you add other sources of income or extra withholding if you find you want more money withheld from your paycheck.

Tools, such as withholding tax calculators, can help you figure out what to fill in on the various steps of Form W-4. You'll have to answer questions about your tax situation before the calculator will tell you how to fill out your Form W-4.

Tax credits

There are no more "allowances" on a W-4 any longer and  it is unadvisable to change the withholding because you will forget to change it back next year and you will be in a world of hurt. 

If you insist on doing something ... then even if you are single change to Married filing jointly and/or add a bunch of kids under the age of 17 in step 3 ... either of these will artificially lower the taxes being withheld.   https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw4.pdf

JRanum
Returning Member

Tax credits

Thanks for clarifying Critter-3, that's what I thought about allowances. Unfortunately I do need to change my withholding amount since the EV federal tax credit is nonrefundable. In other words, I need to owe $7,500 in tax at year end to take full advantage. Please let me know if you have any other advice for updating withholdings - I've found it more difficult since allowances have gone away, but I'll look at the link you sent previously.

Tax credits

@JRanum  You can use the TurboTax W-4 calculator to use the tax withholding calculator to see how to adjust your W-4 for a bigger tax refund or more take-home pay.

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/calculators/w4/

You can change your W-4 anytime, I don't know why Critter suggested that you do not change your W4 but allot of people change their W-4 to receive more or less in their paychecks.

Tax credits

@JRanum 

Ok ... your withholdings at your job  has  ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with your tax liability that the EV credit can handle ... what you need to do is have enough taxable income on the return to produce enough tax liability to fully use the credit.  You can sell stock at a profit, sell off some properties, cash in a 401K and/or  convert some IRA money to ROTHs or take a second job. 

LOOK at the form 1040 ... note that withholding on line 25a  doesn't affect what the credit can negate on line 16...

1a.jpg

JRanum
Returning Member

Tax credits

Understood, that makes sense now. Thanks for all of the help y'all!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies