Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

System changes the "Remitter Name" on CA 593 form to my name, it should be the Title company's name, changed it back three times and it automatically changes it back!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

System changes the "Remitter Name" on CA 593 form to my name, it should be the Title company's name, changed it back three times and it automatically changes it back!

I found the same problem!  My name rather than the actual Remitter Name shows up just after Line 12 and just after Line 28.  These are on the top of physical sheet 2 and physical sheet 3 on Form 593.  This happened on both of my Form 593s, one by the Title Company and the other by the buyer (installment sale payment).  Hopefully, this mistake by Turbo Tax will be ignored by CA FTB since that (redundant) Remitter Name information appears to be there for processing of paper returns and is ignored on electronic returns.

MoniqueLO_
Intuit Alumni

Please feel free to contact customer support for assistance. 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

Update to Form 593 TT "Remitter Name" error...

I was able to Override TT's erroneous "Remitter Name" entry.  I replaced my name (incorrect) with the actual remitter name (correct) in two places on each of my two 593s.  TT did NOT override my overrides!  I submitted my CA return on March 5 and it was "Accepted".  I know that CA FTB reviewed my 593s because my CA return had been rejected earlier, on Feb 26, because of a different error on Form 593.

I chose not to contact TT Customer Support on this issue because of comments by many other posters saying that they wasted hours on the phone with TT with no success.  I hope TT reads these posts and fixes their error before TY21.

EJ53

Not fixed in TY21 and not required to enter parcel and county as required by State of California.  Still TT problem not fixed.

Still happening in 2024 - someone going to fix this bug?

It would be nice if TurboTax fixed this bug, doesn't seem to be an issue with filing but it is annoying. 

MonikaK1
Expert Alumni

Please see this updated help article regarding how to enter CA Form 593 real estate withholding:

Your California real estate withholding has to be entered on both the state and the federal return.

First, complete your state return. When you reach Take a look at California credits and taxes, select Start next to Real Estate and Other Withholding. Complete this section to enter your information.

Second, go back to your federal return.

1. Select Federal, then Deductions & Credits.
  2. On the next screen, select Find tax breaks and answer any following questions until you reach the Your tax breaks screen.
    • Skip this step if you go directly to Let's check for tax breaks.
  3. Scroll down to Estimates and Other Taxes Paid, select Show More, then select Start or Revisit next to Income taxes paid.
  4. On the next screen, select Start next to Withholding not already entered on a W-2 or 1099.
  5. Select Yes on the Do you have any tax withholding you haven't entered yet? screen. Enter your real estate withholding information under State Withholdings and select Done when finished.

Make any changes requested in the State Review.

If you are still having issues with the Remitter information, please let us know which version of TurboTax you are using. 

You can send us a “diagnostic” file that has your “numbers” but not your personal information.  If you would like to do this, here are the instructions for TurboTax Online users: 

Go to the black panel on the left side of your program and select Tax Tools. 

1. Then select Tools below Tax Tools. 
  2. A window will pop up which says Tools Center.  
  3. On this screen, select Share my file with Agent. 
  4. You will see a message explaining what the diagnostic copy is.  Click okay through this screen and then you will get a Token number. 
  5. Reply to this thread with your Token number. This will allow us to open a copy of your return without seeing any personal information.  

We will then be able to see exactly what you are seeing and we can determine what exactly is going on in your return and provide you with a resolution.

If you are using TurboTax Desktop please comment back and I will give you those instructions.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies