Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

JSDean

Support for password manager

The lack of password manager support for your Windows product is just wrong.  Having to manually type in user-id and password means that I can not use complex random passwords.  I have to use simple, short and easy to remember passwords.... counter to best practices.   You don't even support copy/paste.   Your product is alone when it comes to password manager support.   When will you join the 2010s and support more security for an application that holds information that needs high levels of security from a personal perspective.  Your lack of support means the user has to simplify and go in the opposite direction of best practices. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

I will report your concern and suggestion to those in charge of this board.

However, note that you should only need to sign in when you initially install the product.

JSDean

Thanks.

But, your response of only happening when signing in to install the product is not true.  When filling taxes the same thing happens with the pop-up window for user id and password.  It's a pain.

JSDean

One last comment.   It is clear that this won't be a priority.  I expect to see no change to support a password manager within the product.  I have just under 200 unique user ID/Password combos for all of the online and local services I use.  All of the passwords are long generated passwords.   For ONE and ONLY ONE online service do I have to manually create using different rules so that I can type it in.... Intuit.   Security influences my decision making when using online services or for that matter Windows applications.   If it is inferior, I will choose to go elsewhere.   Every single topic on best practices for security includes the use of a password manager as one of the best practices.   At least I can log on to Intuit with the password manager but once you get inside the product, forget it.... it does not work.

I always get a verification code sent to my phone and don't even remember my password.  When I login it asks for my pin then sends a code to my phone.   You need to review what is happening on your computer if you have to retype a password.

JSDean

You are talking about 2FA.   That is not the problem.

The problem.  Once you are in the application on Windows, there are certain actions where the application presents a pop-up window to sign in again before you can complete whatever you are trying to do.   I know of two cases off the top of my head.... One when you install the new release.  Two... when you file your taxes.   In both cases, the pop-up window requestion you to enter your user-id and password, you have to type in the user-id and password manually.   It does not work with a password manager nor can you copy and paste the userid or password into the fields.   The same user-id and password you used to log into the application in the first place.   It is simply bad design by the creator.   I have over 42 years of experience in IT.  The designer did not take security into consideration when they created the specs for how the transaction should flow from a user perspective.    Security and how it fits with the design of the application IS part of the overall specifications...... not an afterthought.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies