Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Successor Trustee filed Schedule D 1040 & CA. 541-C vs. 1041-K-1?

So, my brother is the Successor Trustee and we are both beneficiaries 50/50 essentially. We sold my father's estate and split the proceeds and he kept a little more for doing his duties etc. The main point of this post is that  he I thought had to file a 1041 form with Federal (IRS) and was not sure the equivalent for CA. state reasons, but I thought I was to receive a K-1 form and we were to split the capital gains. 

The house was appraised at $510,000 upon my father's passing in 2021. We sold it for $551,000 in 2022. Minus the closing costs etc. we split roughly $515,000 so I believe the capital gains was $5k correct?

He sends me a text saying instead he paid certain amount$ of federal taxes and certain amount$ of state taxes and if I wanted to pay him half I could. And, we were good. He later sends me tax forms which look like schedule D 1040 forms for capital gains/losses which I believe are for the Fed (IRS) and a CA. 541 C1 form which appears to be some California Fiduciary Income Return. 

He says he paid all the taxes and I don't need to worry about filing anything or claiming anything for the house and or capital gains or my share. Is that accurate? Do I have to pay anything or am I good and don't have to claim anything for the entire half of the proceeds of my house because it's under a certain amount in regards to inheritance in CA. and for the Federal government? Did he file the correct forms?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

Duplicate posting

This is different. I specified in this post the way he filed the taxes for the Trust with an 8949 form, Schedule D 1040 and a CA 540 C1 for the state. My question is can he pay it this way and he said he paid all the capital gains taxes on the Trust and I don't have to file anything?

My question is can he pay it this way   YES HE CAN EVEN IF THAT WAS NOT THE BEST WAY TO DO SO  and he said he paid all the capital gains taxes on the Trust and I don't have to file anything? CORRECT ... THERE IS NOTHING FOR YOU TO DO. 

Thank you so much. Are you familiar with these forms he used? I'm trying to calculate the rate at which he paid to get his final numbers for the state and fed. As I understand capital gains in this situation is considered "long term capital gains" for a Estate sale involved in a Trust? Do you know the % rate he would be paying for the Fed and State on these forms? Is it possible he pays his income rate?

Are you familiar with these forms he used?   Yes I am but you are not ... please seek local professional guidance if you have further questions on this matter once you get a copy of the return he filed.   https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1041.pdf

I have his return. Thank you for the link. I will communicate with someone. He did not file the 1041 forms you referenced in the link. I really appreciate your help.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies