Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Stimulus payment for parent with new Green Card

Hello, appreciate your help with this, my mother received her green card on 11/2020. She never received any stimulus payments. I filed an amended 2020 return and claimed her as a dependent.  I thought this would trigger some kind of stimulus payment for her through me, but that did not happen. My question is, is she eligible for a stimulus checks? If so, how does she get it?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

Now she must have a social security number and if she has been claimed as a dependent on someone else's return she must state that she was claimed by someone else.

In 2022, you can visit GetYourRefund.org to claim any stimulus checks you haven't gotten. You will need to file a 2020 tax return to get the first and second stimulus checks and a 2021 tax return to get the third stimulus check.

To get your money, you'll need to claim the 2021 Recovery Rebate Credit on your 2021 return. Filing electronically can guide you through the form. Don't claim any missing first or second stimulus payments on your 2021 return; rather, you'll need to file a 2020 return or an amended return to get these payments.

@AndrewG25

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

7 Replies
SJmessin
Returning Member

If you claimed her as a dependent she will not individually qualify for a stimulus payment.  

Right, but I should still get her stimulus payment, it would just be sent to me instead of her right?

SJmessin
Returning Member

No, the stimulus is not per dependent, it was a set amount which phased out based on AGI.  

So neither her or me can receive her stimulus checks because I claimed her as a dependent? 

SJmessin
Returning Member

Here's the high level rule. Since she's not a child under the age of 17, there is no additional stimulus for you despite you claiming her as a deductible.  

Most individual adult taxpayers will receive $1,200, plus an additional $500 for each child under 17.

Married couples filing joint tax returns can receive $2,400 plus $500 for each child. The amount of your check will decrease on a sliding scale if your Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) from your most recent tax return exceeds $75,000 for an individual or $150,000 for married couples filing joint tax returns.

SJmessin
Returning Member

As for her ability to obtain a stimulus payment individually.  There's a separate set of qualifiers that apply:

First does she have Citizenship -  you stated she has a green card so yes

2nd does she have SS#, if not the qualification ends there as she is not eligible

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

Now she must have a social security number and if she has been claimed as a dependent on someone else's return she must state that she was claimed by someone else.

In 2022, you can visit GetYourRefund.org to claim any stimulus checks you haven't gotten. You will need to file a 2020 tax return to get the first and second stimulus checks and a 2021 tax return to get the third stimulus check.

To get your money, you'll need to claim the 2021 Recovery Rebate Credit on your 2021 return. Filing electronically can guide you through the form. Don't claim any missing first or second stimulus payments on your 2021 return; rather, you'll need to file a 2020 return or an amended return to get these payments.

@AndrewG25

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies