strassle12

Stating my control number is wrong

My control number is only one number and it is current. Why can't I file with it?

DawnC0

Stating my control number is wrong

Control Number (Box D) is used by many payroll departments to uniquely identify a W-2 in their system. If your W-2 doesn't have one, it's no big deal – you can simply leave it blank.

If you get errors when attempting to e-file with an empty Box D, just enter any number in this format: 5 digits, space, 5 digits (for example, 12345 67890). The IRS doesn't care what's in Box D because its use by payroll departments is optional.

On the other hand, if you're trying to import your W-2 with a blank Box D, click skip import and then manually enter your W-2. You won't be able to import using the 5 digit + space + 5 digit solution for e-filing.

DawnC0

Stating my control number is wrong

Ethanbeasley03

Stating my control number is wrong

5 is my control number 

DawnC

Stating my control number is wrong

If your control is 5, you probably won't be able to import your W-2.  You can try using 12345 67890 (exactly like that with a single space in between 5 and 6).   But if that does not work, choose to enter your W-2 manually.  You won't receive an error when e-filing.  

@Ethanbeasley03