meetma

State unemploment refund

Received my federal refund for unemployment earnings. Will the states be issuing a refund like the FED or do I need to submitted a amended Virginia  return and just reduce the FED ADJ income on the VA amended return by the 10,200 the FED waivered.

WendyS

State unemploment refund

First, I would like to thank you for taking the time to reach out to us today.

I understand that you are inquiring as to whether you need to amend your 2020 State of Virginia tax return to reflect the unemployment compensation exclusion that was passed in the federal American Rescue Plan Act.

No, you do not need to amend your Virginia tax return. Virginia does not tax unemployment income.  Since Virginia does not tax unemployment benefits, it was not included as taxable income on your original state return.

For further information, please visit the Virginia tax website.

https://www.tax.virginia.gov/ 

WendyS

State unemploment refund

https://www.tax.virginia.gov/