turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mom315

We received $400K in long term capital gains in 08/2017. Is estimated tax due on full gain or can I split up estimated payment between 3rd quarter and final tax return?

I am estimating that we will pay 20% on this lump sum capital gain.  Since we only found out about this windfall in July, I didn't pay any estimated tax for the first and second quarters.  Can I send an estimated payment of $40,000. for September 15, and pay the balance when I file my actual tax return for 2017.  If I do not make any estimated tax payments, will I be penalized?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Hal_Al
Level 15

We received $400K in long term capital gains in 08/2017. Is estimated tax due on full gain or can I split up estimated payment between 3rd quarter and final tax return?

No, you should not split the estimates between third and fourth quarter. You should pay it with the the 3rd quarter payment to use the "annualized" method to avoid an underpayment penalty.

That said, for most people there is no underpayment penalty when there is a jump in income from the previous year. Increased quarterly payments are essentially optional. You can wait to pay at tax time

.You should make increased estimated tax payments for the current tax year if both of the following apply:

- 1. You expect to owe at least $1,000 in tax for the current tax year, after subtracting your withholding and credits. 
- 2. You expect your withholding and credits to be less than the smaller of: 90% of the tax to be shown on your current year’s tax return, or  100% of the tax shown on your prior year’s tax return. (Your prior year tax return must cover all 12 months.)

If your goal is just to avoid the underpayment penalty, then paying 100% of the prior year tax liability is the “safe haven”

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Whole Foods Market?
mom315

no 😉
Hal_Al
Level 15

No, you should not split the estimates between third and fourth quarter. You should pay it with the the 3rd quarter payment to use the "annualized" method to avoid an underpayment penalty.

That said, for most people there is no underpayment penalty when there is a jump in income from the previous year. Increased quarterly payments are essentially optional. You can wait to pay at tax time

.You should make increased estimated tax payments for the current tax year if both of the following apply:

- 1. You expect to owe at least $1,000 in tax for the current tax year, after subtracting your withholding and credits. 
- 2. You expect your withholding and credits to be less than the smaller of: 90% of the tax to be shown on your current year’s tax return, or  100% of the tax shown on your prior year’s tax return. (Your prior year tax return must cover all 12 months.)

If your goal is just to avoid the underpayment penalty, then paying 100% of the prior year tax liability is the “safe haven”

State taxes may be different.

Since you have Windows version, you can do a trial tax return.

I put that LT capital gain on my tax return, there was no penalty for no payment of estimated tax.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies