admill20

State residence for sweepstakes win

I won around $1400 in sweepstakes earnings (divided between different companies so I did not get a 1099-MISC). My mother entered me in the contest from her computer in Louisiana (she is a Louisiana resident). I am a Texas resident and live in Texas. Would I claim it as Louisiana income or Texas income?

Note that I would have to file a return for Louisiana if it is considered Louisiana income, because the LA website states "Any nonresident with income (winnings) from Louisiana sources who is required to file a federal individual income tax return must file a Louisiana return reporting income earned." Unless I'm misreading it.

JotikaT2

State residence for sweepstakes win

Since the income is derived from Louisiana sources, you would need to file a nonresident Louisiana tax return.  

admill20

State residence for sweepstakes win

Note that the sweepstakes is not based in Louisiana. It was only entered in Louisiana, online. Does this change the response?