Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Still need to file? Our experts can get your taxes done right. Get started >
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 1


My wife and I received our 2020 SSA-1099. At the bottom of BOX 3, there is an asterisk * statement:

*Includes $1000.00 paid in 2020 for 2019

Do I have to go back to 2019 tax to amend the 2019 amount I received in 2020 for 2019? Or should I just include the amount in my 2020 taxes?  

2 Replies
Expert Alumni


No, you do not amend your 2019 for the payments made in 2020 for 2019.  


You can't amend returns for prior years to reflect social security benefits received in a single lump-sum in the current year. You must include the taxable part of a lump-sum payment of benefits received in the current year (reported to you on Form SSA-1099, Social Security Benefit Statement) in your current year's income, even if the payment includes benefits for an earlier year.


See Back Payments | Internal Revenue Service.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Level 1


Very helpful, this confirms the IRS interpretation. Thanks

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing
Manage cookies