Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Spouses living in different states

This is complicated.  My husband and I moved to North Carolina temporarily to support our family while our son was deployed.  Our home is actually in Washington State.  My husband is returning there, but I plan to stay in NC to continue helping out, as our son will be doing some long trainings.  My husband is the primary wage earner.  I am retired, but will be paid a small amount to provide child care to my grandchildren.  How do we file taxes?  Will my husband's income be subject to North Carolina state tax? (We lived together in NC for 8 months.)  We very much appreciate your help.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

WA has no state income tax, so neither of you has to worry about paying tax to WA for any of your earnings.   But NC has a state income tax.  You will each need to pay state income tax to NC for the earnings you received while living and working in NC.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Thank you for your very clear answer.  You have been a big help 🙂 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies