turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

b0chatma

My wife and I got married 4/16/2016. We don't have kids and clamed 0 on our taxes and this year we own nearly 3k. Our total income was 217k. Why would we owe?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My wife and I got married 4/16/2016. We don't have kids and clamed 0 on our taxes and this year we own nearly 3k. Our total income was 217k. Why would we owe?

Because each of your withholdings was calculated as if that were your only (Joint) income. Added together, though, you end up in a higher tax bracket..

http://fairmark.com/general-taxation/reference-room/2017-tax-rate-schedules/

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Because each of your withholdings was calculated as if that were your only (Joint) income. Added together, though, you end up in a higher tax bracket..

http://fairmark.com/general-taxation/reference-room/2017-tax-rate-schedules/

b0chatma

Sorry can you elaborate?  When I ran each of our w-2s as if we were single I end up with a ~$700 return and she owes $2800.  I made 150,000 and she made 70,000.  I would assume there is a tax benefit to filing jointly and married.  Seems as if there is something wrong in how her company has been deducting taxes even though she claimed 0.  Can you give me a little more info when you get a moment?  Thanks
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies