Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Social Security Worksheet line 3 has incorrect verbage

Line 3 lists all the elements that are to be added to construct this amount, however, while the calculation is correct, the description of the elements is incorrect.  If you compare to Pub 915 you can see the difference.

Turbotax - add 2a, 2b, 3b, 4b, and schedule 1 line 9

Pub 915 - Combine the amounts from: lines 1, 2b, 3b, 4b, 4d, 6, and Schedule 1 line 9 .

Again, Turbotax calculates correctly but if you manually calculate using TT description you get a different answer

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
jwswain47

My calculations on the Social Security Worksheet end up in the right place (same numbers) as the turbotax version, but my version of turbotax has a different set of numbers stemming from line 3 differences.  It may work correctly for some people, but it may not.  I am not pursuing the issue further because my concerns have been satisfied.  Others may need to pursue this issue further.

@iplaygolf13  @jwswain47 

Yeah, Iv'e reported the "text" error to the moderators offline...it's been reported.

At least for the Desktop version, the software calculations do use the proper lines from the form 1040 (not sure about the exceptions noted though, nor about what the "Online software does).

iplaygolf13

You should note that the current (incorrect) software form display ?...it does include lines 1 and 2a in the text if you read the whole line again.  It's just line 4d and 6 that are missing.

"3 Add the amounts on Form 1040 or 1040-SR, lines 1 (before adoption benefits
exclusion), 2a (before U.S. savings bond interest exclusion), 2b, 3b, 4b, and
Schedule 1, line 9. Also include certain income of bona fide residents of
American Samoa or Puerto Rico"

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

I found the same issue when you print from preview option but if you use the form option the verbiage is correct and includes lines 4d and 6.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies