Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

MGloeckler
Returning Member

SOCIAL SECURITY TAXABLE INCOME

Hello, If my husband is the only one, at the moment that is social security eligible, is it both of ours combined income or just his combined income for tax purposes? In turbo tax is asked for his total benefits and I inputted them there and turbo tax is saying that the taxable part of it is done for you? is this correct?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies

Yes you enter the amount listed and TurboTax will calculate the taxable portion based on other income.

We answered that on your other post.  Is he getting Social Security now and you entered the SSA-1099?  Yes the taxable amount is calculated on your total joint income.

Up to 85% of Social Security becomes taxable when all your other income plus 1/2 your social security, reaches:

Married Filing Jointly: $32,000

Single or head of household: $25,000

Married Filing Separately: 0

For 2023 Social Security is on line 6a and any taxable amount on 6b.

To see the Social Security Benefits Calculation Worksheet  in Turbo Tax Online version you would have to save your return with all the worksheets to your computer.   Or if you are using the Desktop CD/Download Software you can switch to Forms Mode (click Forms in the upper right) and click on SS in the list on the left side.

Is your Social Security taxable?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/income/help/is-my-social-security-income-taxable/00/25600

MGloeckler
Returning Member

Ok thank you. I was being told by someone else that I had to download the worksheet and do the calculations myself but then there is no place in the 1040 on turbo tax to input so i wanted to make sure before next years taxes. Is there a worksheet we have to do in turbox tax  or just go by the information of the SSA-1099 that my husband gets in the mail?

No that is wrong.  You don't need to fill out the worksheet.  You don't enter the 703 on your return.  When you enter the SSA-1099 Turbo Tax calculates the taxable amount for you.   The 703 is a worksheet for you to see how much of SS is taxable but it can be tricky to fill out and you might not come up with the right amount.

You should not use the worksheet on the back of the SSA-1099.  It can be complicated to figure out even though it looks simple.  Turbo Tax figures it all out for you.

You only enter box 5 from the SSA-1099.  Turbo Tax figures it all our for you.  

MGloeckler
Returning Member

First year filing our taxes with my husbands social security, could this be the reason for our refund delay or could the reason by that I made about 3000.00 more in income than last year or could be it anything?

MGloeckler
Returning Member

Yes you did but my followon question was could putting social security for the first time on our federal taxes be the reason for our refund being delayed and our taxes getting a second review?

We don't know why the IRS is delaying your refund.  It might not mean anything.  Could be normal.  A lot of people are waiting.  But adding Social Security for the first time shouldn't delay it.  

MGloeckler
Returning Member

ok thank you

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies