Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

SMLLC double-taxation self-employment tax

w.r.t. this article: https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/self-employ[product key removed]s-single-member-llcs.html

author clearly states: Self-employment tax is separate from, and in addition to, the tax you pay on your gross income.

so then with a SMLLC and using pass-through taxation, if I run a business and the business makes a profit of $100,000 then:

1. I have to include that $100,000 as part of my normal income on 1040 (this is by definition of pass-through taxation) and pay taxes on it.

2. Not only that I have to pay self-employment tax on $100,000 

Question 1: is this correct?

Question 2: is this not double-taxation?

Question 3: if I were operating as a sole proprietor, do I still pay the self-employment tax? If not, then I am at a tax advantage operating as a sole-proprietor vs SMLCC

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

@siddjain1 wrote:

.......if I were operating as a sole proprietor, do I still pay the self-employment tax?

You're correct on both counts except with a single-member LLC you are operating as a sole proprietor.

Single-member LLCs are disregarded for federal income tax purposes and report on Schedule C (1040) in the same manner as would sole proprietors.

Yes the self employment tax is in addition to any regular income tax on the Net Profit.  It's for the FICA (SS & Medicare) tax that isn't taken out like on W2 wages.  You pay 15.3% SE tax on 92.35% of your Net Profit (If it is greater than $400).  The 15.3% self employed SE Tax is to pay both the employer part and employee part of Social Security and Medicare.  So you get social security credit for it when you retire.  

#3...yes a Single Member LLC is a disregarded entity and is filed on Schedule C same as a sole proprietor or self employment.  You pay the SE tax on all of them.  

no it is not double taxation since the SE tax is separate and apart from income tax. if you had $100,000 in wages 7.65 % would be taken from that for Social Security and Medicare taxes which is somewhat the same as your SE Tax, There are differences. If you get a w-2 your employer would pay the other 7.65 % for Social Security and Medicare taxes on the wages. As self-employed you get to deduct 1/2 your self-employment taxes in arriving at taxable income. With a w-2 there is no similar deduction.   

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies