Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Returning Member

small business owner



how do I determine what I owe in quarterly taxes as a small business owner and how do I go about filling them in the state of Texas?


thank you!

1 Reply
Employee Tax Expert

small business owner

Hi! Self employment taxes are subject to three federal taxes: federal income (based on your tax bracket), Social Security (12.4%) and Medicare (2.9%). Since the lowest federal tax bracket is 10%, a good rule of thumb is to set aside 25% of your net profit (income less expenses) and send that amount to the IRS each quarter. Your income should not be subject to state income tax as long as your business is located in TX.

Here is a link for estimated tax payment instructions and vouchers: 1040 ES Each voucher has the due date clearly printed on it. Since the first two dates have already passed, you can include any payment for the first two due dates with your third payment. You can also make the payments online at IRS Direct Pay  Just be sure to print out your confirmation page for your records. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings