cpw1558335

Since my stimulus payment was added to my federal return, will the irs still send me that payment even though I owe back child support

It depends upon whether it's for stimulus # 1 or stimulus #2.   The first stimulus check had provisions for garnishment for back child support.  The second payment protected people from garnishment completely.

JotikaT2

I am assuming you are referring to the Recovery Rebate Credit that is calculated on your 2020 income tax return.  If so, you will need to reflect that you did in fact receive the payment even though it was used to offset your past due child support.

Past due child support

You would not be eligible for the Recovery Rebate Credit.  If you claimed it on your 2020 income tax return, the IRS will review the amounts entered and will adjust your tax return  accordingly.

Correcting Recovery Rebate Credits on returns already filed