Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Should medical leave payment be specified as Paid family leave under "Let's check for uncommon situations", if it's shown as "NY PFL" on box 14 of W-2?

Received medical leave payment due to a surgery, yet it is shown as "NY PFL" in box 14.
But, this post from turbotax said that medical leave is different from PFL. 
So it's confusing to me, what should be selected on "Let's check for uncommon situations" page (of Wages & Income), "Paid family leave" or "None of these apply to me"?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

Should medical leave payment be specified as Paid family leave under "Let's check for uncommon situations", if it's shown as "NY PFL" on box 14 of W-2?

If it is shown on your W2 at NY PFL, it is Paid Family Leave and it is Taxable income. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks for your reply. But I believe this should be PML (paid medical leave), not PFL, because it was for surgery myself.
This might be a HR's mistake, but if there is no tax difference between these two categories (for example, both of them are just treated as taxable income), I can probably just proceed with this.

So I wonder if there's any tax difference between PML and PFL.

AmyC
Expert Alumni

PFL is not used for your own situation.  Paid medical leave could have been short term disability, which may or may not be taxable depending on who paid the premiums. If your employer paid the premiums, disability would be taxable to you.

See NY benefits chart

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies