Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Should I worry over a mortgage/interest statement, less than a year of paying, thats being paid by 50/50 investment company but is in my name? Should I worry with IRS?

should i worry about a mortgage and interest statement, thats less than a full year of payment, thats being paid by our real estate company but in my personal name? Should I worry about the IRS if this form 1098 is filed under the business since that entity has been paying for everything?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
PatriciaV
Employee Tax Expert

Should I worry over a mortgage/interest statement, less than a year of paying, thats being paid by 50/50 investment company but is in my name? Should I worry with IRS?

No, because you are an owner of the company that has assumed payment of the mortgage, and files its own tax return, you are not required to include the information from Form 1098 on your personal tax return. Instead, forward the form to the firm handling the company's tax return so the correct information is reported to the IRS.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

4 Replies
PatriciaV
Employee Tax Expert

Does the business file a separate tax return?

yes, we will be having a tax company file for the business alone
PatriciaV
Employee Tax Expert

No, because you are an owner of the company that has assumed payment of the mortgage, and files its own tax return, you are not required to include the information from Form 1098 on your personal tax return. Instead, forward the form to the firm handling the company's tax return so the correct information is reported to the IRS.

Thank you for the help!!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies