turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Should I take a complete write off of a new $32,000 piece of equipment this year, or should I depreciate it? I will only own the business 3 more years.

Is there a way to deduct only 1/3 of it this year and depreciate the rest of the value?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
CathiM

Should I take a complete write off of a new $32,000 piece of equipment this year, or should I depreciate it? I will only own the business 3 more years.

Yes, there is a way to take a partial Section 179 depreciation on the equipment the first year, and then depreciate the rest over the life of the asset.  TurboTax will let you enter the $ amount you want to take the first year (see screen shot below). But you cannot choose the depreciate the rest over 3 years unless you call the asset "computer software".  Equipment is depreciated over 7 years and that is what TurboTax will do. 

Under the Business Tab, scroll down to Business Assets, click on Start or Update and follow the screens to enter the asset.  Continue to the screen How Do You Want to Deduct this Item?, click on I'll take a partial section 179 deduction this year.  Enter the "amount to deduct" in the box.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
CathiM

Yes, there is a way to take a partial Section 179 depreciation on the equipment the first year, and then depreciate the rest over the life of the asset.  TurboTax will let you enter the $ amount you want to take the first year (see screen shot below). But you cannot choose the depreciate the rest over 3 years unless you call the asset "computer software".  Equipment is depreciated over 7 years and that is what TurboTax will do. 

Under the Business Tab, scroll down to Business Assets, click on Start or Update and follow the screens to enter the asset.  Continue to the screen How Do You Want to Deduct this Item?, click on I'll take a partial section 179 deduction this year.  Enter the "amount to deduct" in the box.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies