Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Should I itemize deductions if my husband and I are not divorced yet, but also not "legally separated"? Not sure if he took standard deduction.

We are not on good terms, and he will not tell me if he itemized or took the standard deduction. I know he filed as single (if that makes a difference).
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

Should I itemize deductions if my husband and I are not divorced yet, but also not "legally separated"? Not sure if he took standard deduction.

You should if itemize deductions are greater than the standard deductions.  

Technically, you both are still married.   Without a qualified child or person, IRS only allows you to file either married filing separately or married filing jointly.  He should not file Single. 

If he did file single, without him telling you, you can itemize if your total itemized deductions exceed your standard deduction which would maximize your refund.  You would only concern if he filed married filing separately as you have to follow along with his itemized deduction option. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

You should if itemize deductions are greater than the standard deductions.  

Technically, you both are still married.   Without a qualified child or person, IRS only allows you to file either married filing separately or married filing jointly.  He should not file Single. 

If he did file single, without him telling you, you can itemize if your total itemized deductions exceed your standard deduction which would maximize your refund.  You would only concern if he filed married filing separately as you have to follow along with his itemized deduction option. 

Thank you for your reply! So since he filed single, I do not need to worry about whether or not he took the standard deduction?
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

Yes, because he can't file single. So when you show his SSN on your return, IRS will reject his.  You can protect yourself by filing separate, and you can claim your corrected share of itemized deductions.  If you itemize, then he has to itemize on his return.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies